Monday, March 21, 2011

Time Is Running Out


I'm sure you know that the big antique show in Warrenton is fast approaching. Mindy and I were there last weekend doing a little last minute preparation.

Well, while we were there, we found a Killdeer sitting on a couple of eggs.



Here's the mama Killdeer...



And here are her "babies"...



Mama Killdeer tried to lure us away from her eggs by feigning injury...



Unfortunately, the nest is right in a main driving area for the many trucks and travel trailers that will be rolling into this field in a few days. Eeeek!

Come on, babies, hurry up and hatch! Time is running out!


7 comments:

trash talk said...

Is she in our field? I don't want to endanger her or her babies.
Debbie
P.S. Some human parents could take a page outta her book!

David said...

Debbie, she's at Tree Park in the field that is used for travel trailer hookups along one side and cargo trailer parking along the other. And the nest is in the middle "driveway." If it was just used for driving through, I might try to just cone them off. But people will have to use that whole area for backing trailers and there's just no way to avoid it.

Mindy and I will be back before the biggest part of the traffic. If they're still there and intact when we get back, I guess I'll try to move them to the cow pasture on the other side of the fence and hope that the mama bird will sit on them there. I hate to move them, but that may be their only chance.

I'm really hoping to come back and find that they've already hatched!

Penny said...

Yikes!!! I hope they survive!

Mindy said...

I hope they have hatched, too. And if they haven't and are smushed, David loves me enough to tell me that they hatched and are gone. Right, honey? *wink* ~Mindy

Mya said...

We were living in Mississippi when out on the lawn appeared these large white and black birds. Never having seen them before I grabbed my bird book and found an identification - Killdeer.
Well, we can hope for the best.

David said...

UPDATE:

When I looked for the Killdeer, nest and eggs, I couldn't find a trace. Nothing. Not so much as a shell fragment. I realize that could mean several different things, but we'll assume the happy one.

Unknown said...

FIND AWAY TO EITHER GET HER OUT OF THERE OR STOP PEOPLE FROM USING THAT PARTICULAR SPOT